Adobe Patches Critical Flash Player Vulnerability
Do you have the latest version of Flash Player installed on your computer?
Adobe released an important update for Flash Player on Tuesday, fixing a critical vulnerability that’s actively being exploited by cybercriminals in-the-wild.
The vulnerability, identified as CVE-2014-0497, is described as an integer underflow vulnerability that can potentially allow attackers to take remote control of the affected system.
Due to the fact that Adobe has received reports that an exploit for this vulnerability exists in the wild, users are strongly advised to update Flash Player to the latest version to patch the bug.
Affected Flash Player Versions
- Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.168 and earlier versions for Windows and Mac
- Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.1245 and earlier versions for Linux
How to Check What Flash Player Version You Have Installed
- Go to the About Flash Player page on the official Adobe website (your version will be listed in a gray box on the right).
- Right-click on content running in Flash Player and select “About Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash Player” from the menu. (Be sure to check the version in each web browser installed on your machine.)
Latest Flash Player Version
If you’re running an outdated version of Flash Player, Adobe recommends that you update to:
- Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.199 for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.526 for Linux
If you didn’t receive a prompt to update Flash Player yesterday, you can download the latest version from Adobe’s Download Center. (Side note, visit this page if you’re running Flash Player 1.7.700.260 and earlier versions on Windows & Mac and can’t update to the latest version.)
According to Adobe’s Security Bulletin, the following versions of Flash Player will automatically be updated to the latest version:
- Adobe Flash Player 184.108.40.206 installed with Google Chrome (Windows & Mac)
- Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.11 installed with Internet Explorer 10 (Windows 8)
- Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.168 installed with Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 8.1)