NVIDIA Recalls 8-inch Shield Gaming Tablets Due to Battery Overheating Issues
Nvidia wants their Shield 8” gaming tablets back.
The company issued a voluntary recall for all 8-inch Shield tablets that were sold between July 2014 and July 2015.
The reason? The tablet’s battery can overheat to the point where they become a fire hazard.
Four complaints have already been filed with Nvidia, two of which involve damage to flooring.
As a result, Nvidia is asking Shield tablet owners to backup their data, verify that the latest system software is installed and return the device.
Is your Shield tablet affected by this recall?
Around 88,000 tablets are said to be affected by this recall and will be replaced. You can check to see if your Shield tablet was recalled by:
- Opening the Settings app (Note: Your system must be up-to-date).
- Go to About tablet > Status > Battery
- If you see Y01 then your tablet has been recalled.
Additionally, you can check the model number or serial number:
- Model numbers P1761, P1761W and P1761WX are affected
- Serial numbers 410215901781 through 0425214604018 are affected.
Owners of recalled Shield tablets should visit Nvidia’s recall website or call the recall hotline at 1-888-943-4196.